Saturday, August 29, 2009

Abby and Ben VS. Jetlag- The Beginning of an English Life for Canadians

Well, we have not exactly settled into the sleep patterns of the English yet, however, today we bought plates, cutlery, pots and pans and more important a phone and a little internet stick! I am on a little mobile internet stick at this very moment which allows me to do most things on the internet for a very low price until we are able to secure an internet connection here at home.

So far I am loving the pub life. The food is usually great, and very affordable.  I have tried many different beers. Only one has been served warm- it wasn't very good, call Tom Boots or something strange like that. It's so wonderful how many beers there are on tap! Beer drinking will never get boring! Ben has been enjoying a Guinness or two a day. I keep encouraging him to try new beers, but he says why change a good thing. Yesterday I enjoyed an Amstel  and a Foster's today. One of the funniest things about the pubs is that Budweiser or Coors Light, when you can find it, is the most expensive drink on the menu!

There are also these wonderful amazing things call JACKET POTATOES. It's basically my dream meal, a potato filled with topping of your choice (usually cheese) and a side salad. Finally a world that understands my dietary beliefs :) I have attached a picture in case you are wondering what it might look like.

In other news, thank you to those of you who warned us about drivers. They are quite crazy here! I was silly thinking the weirdest part would be seeing the drivers on the other side of the car. And while it is shocking to remember that the toddler in the seat on the left is NOT driving the car, it's the half streets that have cars going both ways and the cars that pull over onto the sidewalk to let the buses go by that is shocking to me! It's a whole new world that's for sure.

Over all the people have been incredibly helpful and kind. The bus drivers are lovely, and the barmen and women are always kind to help us figure out the pile of strange money in my palm. On our first day here a mom and her two kids walked past us reading our map close to tears. The mom stopped her kids, turned around and kindly said "Can I offer some help?". She took the map from my hands, turned it rightside up and pointed us in the direction where we were going. So, people have been very friendly to say the least, we are lucky in that regard.

Anyway, it's been a whole hour since my last pint, so I must get back to the pub! For all of you enjoying a coffee while reading this savour it for me!

-a


No comments: